Recycling Paper

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
amanda clarke (clarkea@s-cwis.unomaha.edu)
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 16:41:01 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998 richard.scoville.us wrote:

> I am a Community Education Coordinator with the Granite School District.
> We want to run a paper making class. Any ideas?

I have recently made paper using old pieces of white paper, colored
construction paper, and tissue paper.

You need the following items:
- a blender
- a large, deep tray (size depends on the size of your deckle)
my instructor uses a 19 gallon tote with a lid
- old wool blankets for couching
- deckles and moulds for students
you can make your own
- paper for the newly formed sheets to dry on

Tear the white paper into one inch squares (students can help do this in
preparation) the blender will last longer if you pre-soak the torn pieces
in water first.

Fill the pitcher approximately half way and add a handful of white paper
pieces. At this point you could also add torn colored pieces as well.
Place the pitcher in the base of the blender, and blend to desired
consistency. You will need to do this a couple of times to get enough
pulp in the 19 gallon tote. It will last approximately 8 or 9 dips before
you will need to add more.

Couch the formed sheets of paper onto the felts (wool blankets) lift the
frame with sheet intact from felt and lay a clean sheet of paper on a
table. Couch your sheet of paper onto the clean sheet. When lifting the
frame help ease the paper off the frame onto the sheet. Place in drying
rack and continue.

I apologize if you did not need that much info. My instructor has been
collecting books on paper making and projects to do with hand made papers.
The one I enjoyed is by Sophie Dawson, The Art and Craft of Papermaking.
It has tons of ideas and step by step instructions for building your own
moulds and deckles to adding found materials into your paper.

If something is not clear enough let me know and I will post more info.

Amanda