Re: PCs or laptops for computer art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Robert Alexander Fromme (rfromme)
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 06:22:20 -0600

Sidnie and others with similar concerns,

No matter which way you go with this, please stand your ground and insist
upon at least 32 mens of memory if you have plans to do image processing.
We were given 16 megs on our machines and struggled for several years until
I was able to convince the technical administrators that more was required
(lock ups, lost work, restricted image size, restricted resolution,
restricted number of working layers, etc.). Now we are trying to do some
animation and we are hitting the wall at 32 megs. It looks like I am going
to have to use my own funds to secure 128 megs for the machine where we have
the animation software installed if we are to do quality work.

I think you will get more bang for your buck with the PCs because you pay
more for smallness in the laptops. The Laptops will be bumped around more
and will probably loose their hard drives faster as a result. Another
consideration is the time needed for rendering with programs such as Bryce
2, Bryce 3D, Infini-D and other animation software. The rendering and
ani-aliasing often takes hours, so a traveling laptop system may not work
out for you if your program eventually includes these kinds of applications.
In this time of constant technological change, we need to also consider the
need for future upgrades and the PCs will probably upgrade easier and
cheaper then the laptops .

Also keep in mind that the screen size will be quite small on the laptops so
graphic work will be hampered by such a small viewing/working space. You
will also find the use of a ZIP or JAZ drive to be helpful since quality
image files are usually much larger then 1.44 megs. Look for a SCSI port on
the machines if they are MACS or a Parallel or SCSI port on a Clone PC so
that you will have that option as the images become more sophisticated.

You will also want to consider AV cards or a QuckCam and scanner to augment
your program.

You may want to read a bit about my experience and suggestions

http://www.east-central.k12.tx.us/echs/artdept/artdept.html

Click on the button for technology in the art room. Hope this helps.

Bob

At 07:01 PM 3/16/98 -0800, you wrote:
>We are considering what and how to purchase additional technology. It
>seems like there are at least these three options: buy 5 PCs for each
>room and figure out how to rotate students in; buy a class set of
>laptops and wheel them around to each room that wants a lab for the
>day; set up a lab full of computers and have the kids schedule in to
>use them. Can any of you who use any of these options please give
>me some feed-back on how you like them--problems, etc. Sid

># Sidnie Miller #
># Elko Junior High School #
># 777 Country Club Drive #
># Elko, NV 89801 #