Re: art and technology software

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Robert Alexander Fromme (rfromme)
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 17:48:40 -0600

Mike and others looking for a good price on graphics software,

For the past couple years, I have found:

http://www.onsale.com

to be a good place to pick up software for myself and for student use. Keep
in mind that the version number of the product you are trying to buy will
figure into the price drop at this auction but for student use, we do not
always need the latest version and if we purchase a full version, we can
always upgrade at a later date.

At onsale there are two areas, the commercial area and the exchage area.
You will have to register (requires a name, address, and credit card #, as
well as, password) and the commercial area bills your credit card
(encripted) if you win the bid, while the exchange area lets the seller
suggest terms and payment. The exchange area is where one can list and bid
on software and equipment which is offered by other individuals. Keep in
mind that there is a bit of risk involved with bidding on the web and I have
had a few of my bids with the commerical side result in faulty products.
However, I have had good luck, so far, with the exchange side of the
auction. I checked the exchange/software/graphics and multimedia section
and currently there are bids open for Photoship 3 at $40.00 and Photoshop 4.
for the Mac at $175.00. You may also be interested in an open bid for Corel
Draw 8 full version at $99.95 and a Corel Draw 3.0 CD for $9.95. Also,
check to see if there is a single copy or several offered. Often, when
several versions are available, one can get an unbeleivable deal.

Please double check the version of the product that is available and check
the platform the product runs on. Also, make sure you are comfortable
bidding on the web. It is not for the faint of heart, but inspite of a few
problems with a few faulty items from commercial venders, I have saved
hundereds of dollars over the last couple years by frequently checking the
auction. I hope others on the list may find this place a bit of help as
they try to get their computer graphics program underway. Please realize
that I can not accept responsibility for your use of this auction and I
mention my exlperience only as another option as you try to find software
for your program. .

Good luck!

Bob

>Mike Markowich wrote:
>>
>> Thanks to so many of you who responded to sixth grade painting lessons.
>> I'm filled with idea's. Now, how many of you are working with computers
>> in your classroom? I have one computer(IBM compatible) and as many as 25
>> students at a time in my classes. I have not incorporated lessons with
>> art and technology because I can't figure out how to do this. I do use
>> the computer as a resource for information about artists. I'm interested
>> in knowing if any art teachers are using computer art in their
>> classrooms. What software would you recommend for middle school
>> students? Thanks in advance, NAnc

Robert Fromme <rfromme> or <rfromme>