Re: A&E.N-graffiti artist

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John M. Barrick (astroboy)
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 13:42:58 -0500

I must be showing my age for the only one who comes to mind is Keith
Haring. From Pa I believe.He was a few years older than me. In
Highschool around NY I'd see subway stations painted with Graffiti
pctures.Which reminded me of what I was doing at the time. This would
have been Mid 70's,late 70's.I went off to Art School he became
wellknown especially after being arrested couple of hundred times.
The rest is history. He also became friends with another Well known
Artist who is also dead Andy Warhol. Herring had a shop in St Mark's
area or closer to pearl paint in Ny .It might still be there.Very
friendly guy I once went to a gallery he was shwing his stuff at Tony
Shafrazi in '84. Oh the print is above my head. Anyway he was sitting on
Hundreds of prints he was giving away. I said can I have 5( I should
have asked for more)he said sure and signed them all. I've since given
all but one away.They still use quite a bit of his work commercially.
Check the Warhol Web (he's from Pittsburg)and I'm sure there's gotta be
a Haring page.
Bye,

Sandra