[Fwd: Re: painting on tiles]

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Glennis Dolce (gdolce19)
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 11:05:12 +0000

Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 11:00:47 +0000
From: Glennis Dolce <gdolce19>
To: Theresa Hanna <chelsiehound>
Subject: Re: painting on tiles

Hi Theresa,

I did a similar project as a fundraiser for a K playground area. We
ended up with about 300 tiles all done by the kids. We then cut into a
stucco wall and installed them flush to the building. (that was the
hard part)

You need:
4" or 6" bisque tiles (not glazed -only single fired-soft bisque cone
08-06)
an assortment of underglazes, underglaze pencils if desired
brushes
clear glaze (cone 06- 04 is best)
somewhere to fire and preferably spray glaze the tiles

All supplies can be found through Laguna Clay in the City of Industry
-CA. 818-330-0631 or at your local ceramic supply house
estimated cost-including firing-around $1.00 per tile if you can find
someone to fire for free. I'm good at begging for discounts and I
supplies all the brushes for free -you need good brushes. We used ones
my painters had discarded. (I have a porcelain co.)
Ask around with the parents- one of them might have a ceramics business.

--Have the kids do a light outline of their design in pencil on the
tile-the pencil will burn out in the firing and be covered by the
underglazes.

--Paint away! water down the underglazes for more transparent effect and
use heavy for opaque. Colors will appear different before & after
firing. I made a test tile for them to show all the colors after glazing
& firing. This helped immensely. Caution them to use light colors first
and dark colors last as dark will cover the light and in general there
is no going back!

--Ideally- you would want to spray the glaze-its quicker and won't
disturb the painting. If you have to brush it-make sure you get a
brushing glaze as it has a gum mixed with it and the first coat will dry
hard on the surface and the other coats can be applied without damaging
the surface. Dipping not a real great idea with tiles.

--Fire them up! Enjoy!
Glennis
Art VIP
Long Beach Ca