national Endowment for the Arts

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Louise (lutton.us)
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 12:59:20 -0500

Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 10:55:45 -0500
To: bauer, becker, bergen, biliti, bitters, cburns, callaghan, chatas, mcc,
dagg, dalton, sarad, p.davidson, doss, falk, fletcher, flynn,
frederick, rgrannis, jhansen, herman, hudspeth, chutchings, iadipaolo,
jackson, sjameson, jaws, kreger, leblanc, lutton, laluck, marsh,
e.martin, matz, mays, messner, jmiller, mullins, bneff, parrish,
philpo, roberta, widge, riethmiller, rollefson, joer, scharchburg,
scott, evelynn, rsimpson, ksmith, adsnider, stalker,
psy_stiefel, stockwell, swoverland, uphaus, walters,
cwells, woodard, woolfolk, zubryckyj, zuehlke
From: angus.us (Kitty Angus)
Subject: NEA Petition

Hi, everyone.

This is not a chain letter but a National Endowment for the Arts, PBS,
NPR, NEA, NPR & PBS petition.

Please keep this petition rolling. Do not reply to me. Please sign at
the bottom and forward to others to sign. If you prefer not to sign please
send to the e-mail address indicated or return to me. Thanks. This
petition is being passed around the internet. Please add your name to it
so that funding can be maintained for the NEA, NPR & PBS.

NOTE: It is preferable that you SELECT the entirety of this letter and
then COPY it into a new outgoing message rather than simply forwarding
it.

This is being forwarded to several people at once to add their names to
the petition. It won't matter if many people receive the same list as the
names are being managed.

This is for anyone who thinks NPR/PBS is a worthwhile expenditure of
$1.12/year of their taxes, a petition follows. If you sign, please
forward on to others (not back to me). If not, please don't kill it-send
it to the email address listed here: wein2688.

PBS, NPR (National Public Radio), and the arts are facing major
cutbacks in funding. In spite of the efforts of each station to reduce
spending costs and streamline their services, some government officials
believe that the funding currently going to these programs is too large a
portion of funding for something which is seen as not worthwhile.
Currently, taxes from the general public for PBS equal $1.12 per person
per year, and the NationalEndowment for the Arts equals $0.64 a year.

A January 1995 CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll indicated that 76% of
Americans wish to keep funding for PBS, this percentage of people polled
is surpassed only by national defense and law enforcement as the programs
that are the most valuable for federal funding.

Each year, the Senate and House Appropriations committees each have 13
subcommittees with jurisdiction over many programs and agencies. Each
subcommittee passes its own appropriation bill. The goal each year is
to have each bill signed by the beginning of the fiscal year, which is
October 1.

The only way that our representatives can be aware of the base of
support for PBS and funding for these types of programs is by making our
voices heard.

Please add your name to this list and forward it to friends if you
believe in what we stand for. This list will be forwarded to the President
of the United States, the Vice President of the United States, and
Representative Newt Gingrich, who is the instigator of the action to cut
funding to these worthwhile programs.

If you happen to be the 150th, 200th, 250th, etc. signer of this
petition,please forward a copy to:
wein2688.
If that address is inoperative, please send it to:
kubi7975.
This way we can keep track of the lists and organize them. Forward this
to everyone you know, and help us to keep these programs alive.

Thank you.

540) Sandra A. Stark, Wi
541) Bruce R. Stark, WI
542) Erie Mills, Pleasanton, CA
543) Thomas Rescigno, Pleasanton, CA
544) Peter Strummer, Tulsa, OK
545) Linda Roark Strummer, Tulsa, OK
546) Robin Follman, The Singer's Academy, Tustin, CA
547) Jean Seidel, Chicago IL
548) Larry Junck, Ann Arbor, MI
549) Helen White, Ann Arbor, MI
550) Jerry Levin, Sylvania OH