Re: Clay Hand Ideas

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Stubby4B (Stubby4B)
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 21:17:38 EST

In a message dated 98-03-11 01:50:02 EST, Ginny Rockwood writes:

> Then we talked about how we use our hands to communicate
> without speaking. The students lesson was to model a lifesize hand in a
> position that communicated an idea.

I smelled trouble slowly creeping up as I read the description of your
wonderful clay hand lesson. I immediately saw legions of enthusiastic
freshman boys sculpting huge hands, each hand, in a crude fashion, flipping
the bird to society at large. I saw myself explaining, exasperated, that the
middle finger, although it was communicating an idea without speaking, was not
communicating a "nice" idea, not one, at least, that the taxpayers would
approve of, although many of them admittedly utilize it, particularly when
driving on our nation's highways.

I liked how you quickly added that only "appropriate" hand positions would be
accepted. Funny how we realize all high school minds think alike.

Duffy