[Fwd: Re: Noisy classes]

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
croberts (b2w6w4kn)
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 16:37:54 -0800

Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 16:36:20 -0800
From: croberts <b2w6w4kn>
To: DaynaB62 <DaynaB62>
Subject: Re: Noisy classes

Dayna, I also use a point system with my "rowdy" sixth graders, but I do
it between tables or groups in each class...so they can see the tables
getting the bonus points. I like the "positive" approach rather than a
"negative" approach to behavior problems. Students don't see the
effects of one class getting more points as easily as they do right in
their class right before their eyes.

When the class is getting rowdy, I look for a group (could be a table or
a row of students or however you have them set up) who is the "quietest"
and I say...I'm going to give group 3 a bonus point because they are the
quietest...or are following directions...or whatever positive behavior
you want. Usually, everyone in the room will get quiet instantly.

On Monday, I add up the points for the week before and reward the group
with the most points...reward can be whatever you want. Mine love
suckers...so on Monday, the winning group gets to eat their suckers in
front of the rest of the class.

This works for me better than taking OFF points...better to ADD
points...and I have the most talkative group of sixth graders I have
EVER had.

Carolyn