Degas/chalk work

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Lynda Brothers Matthew (brosart)
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 19:56:50 -0800

>To: ktwnldy.az.us
>From: Lynda Brothers Matthew <brosart>
>Subject: Re: Seventh Grade Ceramics
>
>Hi Christine and all the others that have responded,
>I have found out in the last two-three years that as long as someone has
a LAUSD employee # (which means finger-prints, shots, etc.) they are
insured to be in the classroom alone with the kids, so no teacher, aid, etc
is needed. It would be nice sometimes if it were not so.....

>But thank you for your response. I really appreciate all of the help
everyone offers. Maybe because I'm almost 50 in age, but I find it amazing
what the ELEMENTARY kids will say to their teachers and each other. And by
all means, I'm not a prude. I love to have a great time with the kids and I
really like to joke around and lighten up school time. I adore puns, and
can be quite the clown, and have the whole class in laughter. I love that,
but not cruelty and crudness. There I draw the line with kids. It's hard
to be creative, I feel, in a stringently controlled environment. I don't
feel comfortable teaching in that way. But it's as though they come into
the classroom sometimes and just let go, and think it's recess time.
>Anyway, I have talked to the teachers, and the one child in particular has
a mother that even the teachers are not wanting to contact too often. They
say she arrives at the school with 6" skirts, sits in the front row at
parent/teacher night with her legs open and dumbfounds them all, and they
are not prudish teachers! So maybe sending a letter home to her to describe
what her son has said would only give him kudos from home. Who knows?
>And the suggestion from (Ican't find the e-mail, so I can't give her
credit, I'm sorry) about putting the offending student in the position of
model I liked. Though I can imagine the giggles and chaos. That's okay, it
might help in the long run.
>I have the class in the morning, so I'll let you all know how it goes. I
guess it's a matter of "fear of flying" when I'm planning something I've
not tried before. As an older adult I can see all the safety problems, in
fact the thought of 32 x-acto knives gives me the hee-bee-jee-bees. I have
4th and 5th graders in my weaving/tapestry class that cut the skein of wool
right up the side, so the rest of us get 6" pieces, just because they're
having fun with the scissors. Nothing's safe, but somethings are safer than
others. How far out on the limb do we go? With my own son, I went way out,
but when I have a class of 32 5th graders, I'm so much more cautious.