Re: Figure Drawing and Bad Behavior

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John M. Barrick (astroboy)
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 21:33:26 -0500

I've been thinking on this one. I to am an Artist who has taught but
does not have "credentials".I have a B.F.A. in Painting and Printmaking
and a number of years working in Early childhood centers where they
taught developmental theory as their basis for their program. I've
worked in Art supplies as well and in an Art Museum.Also I was an
Art Literacy Program coordinator for my son's school.I have taught
preschool-8th in Art. I've worked with my share of people who were less
than eager teach an Art lesson. Fortunatly the volunteers I would stress
that these are the guidelines and if you are not interested in Art or
doing the lesson or respecting everyone else than please don't
volunteer. Since my son goes to a private school the parents had to
volunteer for something. I tell them this isn't for everyone. If they
are uncomfortable teaching then they can assist. It sounds hardline
but it isn't. I only want the best for my kids. If the volunteer doesn't
show interest in Art or teaching how are the kids going to.

Now onto what I was writing about. I haven't had the discipline
problem you speak of but I would treat them like I would a preschooler
if they are going to act like one. TIMEOUT. We did use a chair out in
the hall I never had to use it past Kindergardeners though. I would not
hesitate to speak to a parent but I would first speak to the teacher.
If it is more than a few kids .Then everyone should spend the period
punished ie Head on desk. I'm sure the funny ones won't seem to funny
when everyone's in trouble. I wonder how you started the year? I ask
when I start out with a new class I go over all the rules if you have a
rowdy bunch it may take a few classes to get the point across but
it's worth it. Then you'll have the rest of the year to work. Perhaps
starting with Still life setups. Or group poses. One thing I did
was I went to the Art Students league from age 14-18 and I didn't laugh
plus our models were nude.My instructure would start out with gesture
drawings (30 second poses) they changed fast enough the kids probably
wouldn't alter them. So hang in there. Try different things stay intouch
with their teacher. Don't bribe them but perhaps reward them with praise
sounds like an age of not high self esteem,puberty,depression and of
course hormones. Maybe they should respect the girls more and since they
don't then maybe the girls should hold off modeling till the boys can
respect them. Try giving the comedians some self esteem perhaps they
could be the model. If muscular role up sleeve and have them just draw
the arm.
I know I'm going on.
Bye,
Sandra