RE: (no subject)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fields, Linda (fieldsl.us)
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 10:21:22 -0500

A good, philosophical question, Ricki. Some of us would probably say
that teaching, itself, is an art, therefore, a good teacher would be an
artist of sorts. My personal feeling is that there are many people out
there who are much better artists, per se, than I, but who probably
couldn't teach worth a hoot[consider some college profs we've all known
and loved(?)]. I have often regretted that I never became really great
at any one medium, but instead, am very capable in several, and I often
wonder if I became an art teacher to be a generalist, or if I'm a
generalist because I'm an art teacher. Someday (retirement maybe) I hope
to become a "real" practicing artist, but until then, I've decided that
what I am great at is doing a lot of things very well instead of one
thing the best. I do, however, think that an art teacher needs to be
able to show students how to do things in order to maintain credibility.
My students love it when I bring in pieces of my own work. So-so much
for my opinion. I'll be interested to read other responses. Linda