RE: Seventh Grade Ceramics

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fields, Linda (fieldsl.us)
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 09:55:16 -0500

Hi Linda-when I taught middle school, I used to integrate writing and
research with my clay assignment. Students would choose an unusual
animal-one they didn't know much about. Then they had to research it
using 2 sources and write notes/report on the animal's habitat, living
habits, hunting habits/what it eats, etc. I explained to the kids that
artists often research subjects if they are not familiar with them in
order to gain enough understanding to do a credible job. Included in
their research were top, side, front, and back views of the animal
(sketches). This was the hard part because most of the time they had to
visualize and figure out several views since seldom were all of them
available in photographs. They grumbled about this but found that it did
make things easier when they were actually sculpting. Each student
received about 1.5 lbs of clay with which to sculpt the animal. The
report was to have an illustrated cover with hand lettered title, thus
incorporating drawing and what I had taught about good lettering as
well. With your class situation, some students could be working on the
report and cover while others did the clay, then vice-versa. Hope this
helps. Another Linda