Re: New York

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kimberly Anne Herbert (kimberly)
Mon, 09 Mar 1998 19:51:27 -0600

I think that _Tar Beach_ which was reconmended in a previous post has a
picture of the Brooklyn Bridge. Can you make a sculpture of the bridge?
You might be able to intergrate with science or Social Studies. It has
an interesting history. The workers (and engineer) suffered from the
"bends", when they working on the foundation of the bridge. No one knew
what was causing the pain the workers and engineer suffered from. The
engineer was injured so baddly that he couldn't walk, see, and could
barely talk. His wife took over the day to day supervision of the
building of the bridge. He was feature in our "Child and the Hero"
exhibit, but I can't recall his name. (I'm recovering from an allergic
reaction and not thinking to clearlly)
Kimberly Herbert
CAM Administrator
kimberly