Re: Printing and Publishing

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Stubby4B (Stubby4B)
Sun, 8 Mar 1998 23:01:01 EST

In a message dated 98-03-07 14:44:13 EST, Melissa Chaney writes:

> I feel very stupid asking this question, but here goes. When going to
> art fairs in my home town I often see artists selling small prints of
> larger works. These prints are sold for a lower price than the original
> as expected. My question is how and where may an artist go to have
> these prints made?

I understand this is not the intent of your letter, but I'd like to get this
off my chest: The term "prints" in this case is used loosely. These are
machine-made offset prints, just like a poster, but often are sold by
unscrupulous artists for an awful lot of money. These are not serigraphs, nor
lithographs, nor do they require any hand work. I have seen "prints" by
artists like Bev Doolittle sell for hundreds of dollars - this is quite a scam
perpetrated on folks by artists that abuse the term "prints". If they sell
for more than ten bucks, someone is making an awful lot of money.

If you want these prints made, my guess is you would look in the yellow pages
under Printing".

Duffy Franco