Re: Different Philosophy

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fran Marze (fmaiu+@pitt.edu)
Sun, 8 Mar 1998 09:47:02 -0500 (EST)

I have to respond to this and I think Diane's take on the situation is
clear. I liked the reference to the text booky. I had taught English for
12 years and think we have to keep in perspective why most people like
making art or crafts or any kind of handicrafts. It's the hands-on stuff
that turns us on. We need to strike a balance with the art history and
somehow work with it but understand that most students (as well--as many
art teachers) want the hands on. It's like all the new names for what used
to be woodshop--it's like at our school, we're doing writing across the
curriculum even in phys ed. Can't we see that all subjects are important
without trying to make hands on type of subjects more "booky"? to boost
their importance. I believe that showing art, having students get more
into their minds so they can produce more and more meaningful art is
important. Also, they need to know why a piece of art works so the
criticism is important. I had a wonderful student teacher, though, who
almost killed the students with lectures about art history. So this must
be the newer philosophy. A balanced approach will work.

Anyone out there remember the "happy haptics" and crew? Fran