Re: World War II

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John M. Barrick (astroboy)
Sat, 07 Mar 1998 23:56:53 -0500

Ruth,
After typing an entire letter I lost it trying to save it out.
Here goes again. Hi, I did a DBAE lesson this past Fall on Norman
Rockwell. He has a set of 4 paintings which we scanned during our lesson
They are called the 4 Freedoms.It was his explanation of what WWII was
all about. "Freedom of Speech",Freedom from Want"(which is his famous
Thanksgiving Dinner scene)Freedom from fear"'and "Freedom of Worship".
One of oour projects was to make a cover of the "Saturday Evening
Post". Some of the classes picked themes. You could have WWII as one.
The other thing which came to mind was the WPA. Which was set up
at the end of the war. Maybe concentrating on what role Artist had in
this country with the WPA. Finally one of my favorite Artist when I was
in Art school a life time ago was "Max Beckman". A German Jew who
escaped Nazi Germany but had to leave his Paintings behind which inturn
were burned and destroyed. Concentrating on what the Art World was doing
at the time during WWII. Oh yes Beckman ended up in America after WWII
as did many Artist in the WPA. He taught Painting at Washington
University in St.Louis,MO which still has a vast collection of his work.
Sorry for Ranting,
Sandra Summers- Barrick