Re: Thieves in the classroom

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mike Delaney (edelaney)
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 20:54:48 -0500

What I have resorted to in the classroom supplies is that at the beginning
of thesemester I request for each student to provide a small tupperware
type container or scoolbox or plaztic bag to keep supplies in. I ask that
they bring in an x-acto knife to keep at school in the art room along with
colored pencil, scissors thatr cut material, glue, etc. I refill their
glue bottle when empty, I have a classroom set of colored pencils and that
is what they get to use if they don't bring in the supplies. I sent a note
home after a month if they are not prepared for class. This has helped
tremendously. They take better care of the supplies. I tell them that way
I can buy more glazes. Now with clay and I teach three classes I have
reclaim clay for all to use and then I have premixed clay for them to buy
and they pay through the bookstore. we reclaim their work when broken and
most still want to buy the clay instead of knead up the reclaim. I lay the
clay out on plaster bats and turn it over and then store in a community
trashcan. All they have to do is knead it. It is amazing how many have the
money to buy clay. My daughter is in high school and I did not mind buying
her supplies for school. They do this in the elementary level so why not
in highschool too. we don't have many tools either for clay and thay can
purchase ia tool set in the bookstore. A frien in another town has kits
made up for them to purchase at the bookstore according to the class that
they take. There are very few that can not afford to to this. If they
cannot affor to buy then that is okay also. I will see that they have the
supplies when they need them. Enola from Indiana