Re: General Info on Copper Tooling

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fran Marze (fmaiu+@pitt.edu)
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 16:25:27 -0500 (EST)

I think you could find information in any of the craft encylclopedia type
of books. I had one that I lent to a friend. However, I have done a lot of
that in the past and the steps I remember. have a good design (of course)
Can transfer it to copper by taping drawing to metal and using a ball
point pen trace over the pattern you made. (Use a soft padded piece of
something .(At home i've even used an ironing board!) A thick folded
newspaper will even work. use either smooth wooden tools or plastic
modeling tools. Press out from the back in even
fashion the
areas you want pushed out (in relief)Then on the front press down around
the area that is pushed out so you emphasize the raised areas. Continue
this until done. Be careful not to work two directions at once or you'll
get creases. When finished, best antiquing is done with liver of sulphur
(stinks) then soft steel wool to burnish and either a paste wax to
preserve or spray laquer of some sort. I love these. Fran