RE: JOHN BIGGERS

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fields, Linda (fieldsl.us)
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 13:34:13 -0500

Hi Kathryn! The zip code for the museum in Raleigh is 27607-6494. Their
phone number is (919) 839-6262 and fax (919) 733-8034. If you talk to
Deborah Reid-Murphy, feel free to tell her that Linda Fields suggested
you contact her.
I am glad you were able to get the info off the webpage. I hope
you realized that some of the other murals were from elementary level.
You are right in that the students will be awed by the actual murals
themselves-ever so much more impressive than a picture in a book. Even
my "worldly wise" high schoolers thought the real thing was "awesome!"
Perhaps you could talk with your kids about education-what it means,
what it can do for an individual, its value to them, to their parents,
grandparents, etc. It might be a good way to get some generational mix
in there-you know, contrasts and comparisons, like "when I was a boy
we......" Little kids kind of automatically come up with symbols for
things (like the ball and stick sun), so maybe you could brainstorm
symbols and come up with commonalities that could be used in their
murals. You could also talk about symbology in many cultures, e.g.
Native American, Egyptian, Japanese, etc. and make it a multicultural
thing. Let me know what you decide to do-I am excited for you. Also, if
you want to work in Lower Merion later, let me know-I'll give you some
names, etc. Best wishes-and keep in touch. Good luck! Linda