RE: Thieves in the classroom

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fields, Linda (fieldsl.us)
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 13:13:39 -0500

Daren-you don't say what level you are teaching, but I have the same
problem in high school. Students seem to have no regard for anything
that isn't personally theirs. When I have a substitute I lock up
everything except what is needed for that day's lesson (and those are
usually very basic).My kids delight in breaking and throwing colored
pencils, so now they are using little broken stubs. I have reserved the
good ones for my more mature, upper level students who will treat them
appropriately. I believe if we could charge an art fee or require each
student to purchase the necessary basics, we could eliminate part of the
problem, but in public school these days, I don't believe it will ever
happen.For really serious offenses, I write them up and the parents are
required to pay for damaged materials.(sometimes works, sometimes
doesn't)
I have no easy answers, but I do share your frustration. Hang in
there-Linda