Re: Thieves in the classroom

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kprs (kprs)
Thu, 05 Mar 1998 00:22:00 -0800

Daren Cable wrote:

> I am having some trouble with students who steal or break or damage the art
> supplies. I have had two substitutes this year and when I returned, the
> room was a terrible mess.

One of the first things I teach my students is< what they do to
substitutes they do to ME>, and to that end substitutes love when I'm
out, because my kids come in, get their work, work on it, critique each
other, support each other, clean up and leave, essentially what they are
expected to do by ME, and are trained to do over time.

As for thieves, work is often misplaced in wrong drawers or folders, but
seldom stolen...probably because everyone has invested time into their
own work, that they even are proud and like it, and don't want anyone
elses....as for art supplies being misused, I GIVE art supplies away at
the end of the year (so that encourages kids to conserve during the
year) My theory has always been, just because school is out, you
shouldn't stop drawing, or sculpting over the summer. If I am truly a
teacher, then I should be able to encourage them to want to learn for 12
months of the year....I want to add that I do not empty my coffers, I am
not that naive, but I do pass on surplusses that we, collectively have
saved over the year, to those students who plan to work over the
summer....the only salvo is that they must share what they have done
with everyone in September. So far this system has worked out fine for
me.

San D