RE: JOHN BIGGERS

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fields, Linda (fieldsl.us)
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 13:27:30 -0500

Kathryn-The North Carolina Museum of Art in Raleigh, NC did an exhibit
of Biggers' work -View From the Upper Room.In conjunction with it, the
outreach educators invited 16 schools to work with them in producing 2
4'x6' canvas panels based on Biggers' work. The schools applied and were
chosen from different regions of the state. My region is the Piedmont
and I did this project with my Art III-IV class, altho' Art II and art
club helped some with the painting. We worked with an American history
class to brainstorm symbols that could represent this region, then
designed 2 companion panels. You can see the fruits of our labors (and
that of the other schools) if you go to the NC Museum page at
http://www2.ncsu.edu/ncma
When you get there, I believe you click on class projects.The
title of the project is Stately Impressions. The mural from Eastern
Guilford HS is ours.
Deborah Reid-Murphy is the outreach coordinator and I am sure she would
be glad to send you additional information.(North Carolina Museum of
Art, Blue Ridge Road, Raleigh, NC) There are at least two Biggers'
murals located at Winston-Salem State University in Winston-Salem, NC
also, and they will also have useful information. A great book is The
Art of John Biggers:View From the Upper Room by Alvia J. Wardlow; Harry
N. Abrams, Inc. in assoc. with the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston.
I am originally from Pennsylvania and my brother is a Penn State
grad. He is currently Art Coordinator for Lower Merion Schools in PA, so
I wish you extra luck. By the way, I know of several openings in art in
Charlotte for next year. Jon Biggers' home was Gastonia, NC-very close
to Charlotte. His nephew, Jim, is also an artist and art teacher in NC.
Let me know if I can help you further. Linda Fields