Re: film studies course

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kmt127
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 11:43:15 -0600

Charlie wrote:
>Looking for secondary teachers involved with screen (film) education. ...
This is first time teaching this
>course and discovering the potential in integration with other subject
>areas i.e. English, Literature, Visual Arts, Technology and
>Communication. ...
>Does anyone know of any net sites that might offer information on this
>subject or if you have information to share from your area and teaching
>program.

Charlie:
If you haven't looked into it already, you may want to read information
pertaining to visual culture and cultural studies.
Visual culture is a fairly recent term and as a body of all
cultural images, and the study of those images it usually rejects the
notion of a singular discipline and crosses the boundaries of art,
architecture, and film, while intersecting with models of anthropology,
media studies, philosophy, and cultural studies. Visual culture is the
study of the social construction of the visual experience and shifts from
the history of art to the history of images while intersecting with
critical theory, philosophy, and political discourses of identity
formation: it focuses on the cultural construction of visual experience in
everyday life as well as in the media, representations, and visual arts.
Cultural studies argues strongly that the role of media
culture-including the power of the mass media, with its massive apparatuses
of representation and its mediation of knowledge-is central to
understanding how the dynamics of power, privilege, and social desire
structure the daily life of a society.
Visual culture and cultural studies embrace the analyzation of
assorted images from the media, popular culture, films, advertising, mass
communications, fine art, and architecture. Although both cultural
studies and visual culture's rubric consists of a hybridization of multiple
disciplines and territories, it is conspicuously absent from the art
educational dominion. Although advocates for DBAE have campaigned for an
inclusive view of visual arts, current DBAE practice rarely addresses
popular images from visual culture on their own terms and when it does
occur, it is usually presented on in a cursory manner or critiqued from a
formalistic perspective.
There have been some recent discussions (although few and far between)
about the role of these areas within art education. I have constructed
curriculum and facilitated instruction using models from both areas.
E-mail me if you want more info.

here are some recommended readings:

Bryson,N., Holly, M., &Moxey, K. (eds). (1994). Visual culture: Images and
Interpretations . Hanover:Wesleyan University Press

Visual culture questionnaire, "October, 77" (1996).

Duncum, P. (1997) Art education for new times, Studies in Art Education, 39
(3), 110-118

Freedman, K. (1997). Critiquing the media: Art knowledge inside and outside
of school, Art Education, 50 (4), 46-51

Freedman, K. (1997). Visual art/virtual art: Teaching technology for
meaning, Art Education, 50 (4), 6-12

Freedman, K. (1997). Curriculum inside and outside of
school:Representations of fine art in popular culture, Journal of Art
&Design Education , 16 (20), 6-12

Giroux, H. &Simon, R. (eds). (1989). Popular culture: Schooling and
everyday life. New York: Bergin& Garvey

Giroux, H. (1994). Disturbing pleasures. New York: Routledge

Giroux, H. &Shannon, P.(eds). (1997). Education and cultural
studies:Towards a performative practice. New York: Routledge

Kinchloe, J., & Steinberg, S. (eds). (1997). Kinderculture: The corporate
construction of childhood. Boulder: Westview Press

Mitchell, W.J.T. (1995). Interdisciplinary and visual culture, Art
Bulletin, 77(4), 540-544

Good Luck. Kevin

Kevin Michael Tavin Ph.D. Candidate
Dept. of Art Education