Re: kids that destroy their work

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fran Marze (fmaiu+@pitt.edu)
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 09:30:56 -0500 (EST)

I had to stay home today since my husband was really ill last night and I
was so tired by midnight. aNyway I'm taking a break from laundry and
cathing up on cleaning and income tax prep to answer email. I think we
have to make a good compromise between one line on a paper and a kid
throwing it away and teaching them how to conserve without stiffling them.
I have them save old drawings, etc. that they don;t like at the time for a
future collage project. We do thumbnails, use erasers, gesso over canvas,
use block out white for areas on acrylics, etc. etc. but sometimes,
starting over is the only viable alternative. I took a community college
course from a young man who is a professional portrait artist and he said
a lot of "startovers" are important in portrait drawing. Sometimes we can
belabor a work and it gets just too worked over and a fresh start. is
important. I say learning takes place in the mistakes, too. Let's have a
happy medium between waste and lock step pressures. i think we can work
within that parameter. franWhat is this? Real artists don't use erasers.
help me on this one!