Kids that distroy their work

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Ann Weaver (t35627.us)
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 14:40:43 +0100

From: Lynda Brothers Matthew <brosart>
Subject: Kids that distroy their work

Hi everyone,

I have a question. I have recently had several kids work very diligently on
an art lesson in class, and then in the end scrible over a good work and
sometimes go so far as to crumple the work up and throw it away. What to
do? Also, do you let kids make mistakes and then go for another piece of
paper several times? I keep trying to get them to use their mistake
creatively, but they totally loose interest if they conceive something as a
mistake, and stop being creative, won't work anymore on anything. (This is
for K-5).

Thanks'
Lynda brothers

Lynda, I think we all share the same problems. I am bothered when children
throw away their artwork, but it doesn't happen often. What really bothers
me is see a child fold up a piece of work. When it happens we talk about
why it should be left flat, but the problem seems to be that they have a
hard time transporting artwork home.

Extra paper - It is a general rule that you "think first before you do" in
my class, although there are exceptions. I have one first grade class that
as a whole was very wasteful at the beginning of the year. Their problem
was that they were so eager to get started that they didn't think first and
if they couldn't have more and more supplies, they cried. Another part of
it was that they were so uptight about "getting it right." So ---we
discussed that artists often make mistakes and that they learn from their
mistakes and that sometimes their mistakes turn into really good work. I
then read them the little book A BIG MISTAKE by Lenore Rinder(ISBN
0-8368-1327-8) about a child who turns a painting mistake into a great
piece. When the problem continued, I had them repeat the following after me
at the beginning of class. "I will not moan, I will not groan. I will be
an artist and I will TRY." It was so-o-o-o-o silly, but they loved it and
now bring their work to me to show how they changed a mistake into
something wonderful. They are a truly creative bunch and I love working
with them. Ann