Re: Keith Haring

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
wendy sauls (wsauls)
Mon, 02 Mar 1998 22:35:25

At 08:19 PM 3/1/98 EST, bkingman wrote:
>Has anybody done any lessons on the elementary level using the art of
>Keith Haring as a starting point? I want to do something with figures
>using Keith Haring but am not sure exactly what. Thanks for any
>suggestions.
>Holly

hi holly!
keith haring is one of my all time faves! first, check out his website -
just do a search and it will be the first thing to come up. in middle
school we do haring in our fig drawing unit. we compare him with matisse.
we make a list of characteristics of their (figurative) work. our project
is to do an action figure(s) scene - an athlete or dancer or something
mostly using photos as refs, with a background; this is after we have done
contour and gesture- inspired by their style. we make a list of how we
could alter their styles so that our work would have the flavor of
matisse/haring but not be a rip off. when we finish, we look at them and
discuss their influences in each piece. my students list this project as
one of the ones they like most, too! good luck!

wendy

Wendy Sauls
Art Teacher, Kanapaha Middle School, Gainesville, FL
Doctoral Student, Art Education, Florida State University
wsauls
home page: http://grove.ufl.edu/~c4930cqs/home.html