Re: Kids that distroy their work

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Alix E. Peshette (apeshet)
Sun, 1 Mar 1998 20:03:43 +0000

> Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 18:04:55 -0800
> To: artsednet.edu
> From: Lynda Brothers Matthew <brosart>
> Subject: Kids that distroy their work

Hi Lynda,
I teach 7th grade art. A major project is always proceeded by a
"planning sheet" where a student has to come up with at least two
good ideas. I then give them a credit check for this work. I tell
them to think of a planning sheet as a sloppy copy/rough draft. They
are always allowed to come up with a better idea for the final
project. The planning sheet allows me to slow down the head-long
rush to use up good materials before the student has a good idea. I
can also check for suitable, school appropriate content (more of a
7th grade problem than a K-5 one). The planning sheet also stops
that "What were we doing yesterday (or last time)?" whine. I can
then say, "Check your planning sheet in your portfolio, in your table
tub."

-Alix Peshette
Emerson Junior High School
Davis, CA