Re: Art Reproduction Survey

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mark Alexander (Alexander)mamjam)
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 19:06:31 -0500

Respond to this message.

1. Please indicate your area(s) of interest in art education:

elementary and middle school art

2. Please number the following visual art resources in your order of preference:

1=large art reproductions (poster-sized)
3=small art reproductions (small prints or postcards)
6=slides
2=overhead transparencies
4=CD-ROMs
7=laser discs
5=World Wide Web access

3. Why do your prefer your first choice in #2?

When using art resources I am usually presenting to the class, and I prefer
'low tech' presentations. Because I work from a cart, I never know what
equipment will be available in which room, so I avoid using it. Our school
has no laser disc capabilities, and students don't have access to computers
in classrooms.

4. What features do you most prefer in large art reproductions?

3=only the image of the artwork
2=information about the image included on the back of the reproduction
5=information about the image included on the front of the print
3=information about the image included in an accompanying teacher guide
1=information about the image included both on the back of the print and in
an accompanying teacher guide
6=information about the image included both on the front of the print and
in an accompanying teacher guide

5. Why do you prefer your first choice in #4?

I feel information on the front of the reproduction is distracting and
reduces the effectiveness of discovery by inquery. I do like teacher guides
available to prepare the lesson, and I also like information on the back,
sometimes useful when a student has a question I might not have the answer
to.

6. Do you prefer to obtain prints already laminated or would you rather
laminate them yourself?

Not important. Either way works for me, although most factory lamination
seems to hold up better than the laminating I do.

7. What kind of information would you most like included with any art image
resource?

Information about the artist and art movement and cultural background of
the art work. Activitiy suggestions are sometimes useful. Sometimes it is
helpful to have information on how elements and principles of design are
used in the art work.

8. Please list any specific art images you would like to see available as
large reproductions.

There are many that I want that are available in the catalogs. Some that I
would like to have but I have not seen published anywhere are: Andy
Goldsworthy, Georgio Morandi, Fitz Hugh Lane.

9. Please add any comments you would like to share.

Since I have very few reproductions at school, I've been collecting and
laminating calendar pictures. Next year I'll be able to purchase some large
reproductions. I've begun an informal wish list, but I have a hard time
deciding which are most important. Meanwhile I use book illustrations a
lot. Most of my classes are smaller that 16 students, and they are
accustomed to having me walk back and forth with books open. Big prints are
the best, because everyone can see them at once and I can prop them up on
the chalk rail for future reference if necessary.

I hope this has helped, Nancy!

Mark Alexander, in the northwest hills of Connecticut.

Respond to this message.