keepin' em late after class

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Bunki Kramer (bkramer.ca.us)
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 22:01:20 -0800

Respond to this message.

Hi, Deb.......
You wrote:
>In my school you are not allowed to hold an entire class after the bell
>rings (except for periods preceding a recess or lunch). All sorts of
>complications arise ..........................

Thanks 4 responding! I understand your thoughts on keeping EVERYONE in
until things are discovered. I felt the same way at first and remember
having two experiences with two students being late 4 their next classes. I
finally gave in and wrote them both notes for being late to their next
classes. HOWEVER....keeping the classes overtime once or twice also set up
my reputation in school 4 returning all my supplies before leaving my
classroom. In the past six years I have had no problem with having to write
late notes or very little missing supplies so SOMETHING must be working
here! I know it's not fair to the other students in the class if I need to
keep all after class, but I explain right up-front each day for the first
week and they all know the score. Because of that, I find kids monitoring
each other near the end of class to make sure nothing is missing...all is
there. They will call out to the class if a pencil is missing, etc. and
most often I don't even have to say a word. I'm talking about 6, 7 and 8th
graders. If this age group can do it, anyone can! BTW...I don't keep them
beyond 2 mins. of a 5 min. passing period. After 1 min. is passed, they are
all scramblin' to find the missing whatever and they usually find it! Like
I said before...it works for me. Maybe this wouldn't work for you and
that's okay too.

I personally don't like the collateral thing myself, though it might work
just great for someone else's situation. Except 4 using the shoe thing
sparingly, I find swapping jewelry, watches, etc. 4 supplies get to be too
much work in monitoring, etc. and interfers with my teaching. We all have
to find our favorite way to cope with the problem. Discussing with your
principal just how far you can go with the problem might be a start in
finding out your "coping" parameters. I've been surprised just how far I
was allowed to go. Cya.......

Bunki Kramer
Los Cerros Middle School
Danville, California 94526