Re: 1st & 2nd Grade ?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Scurfield (scurfield)
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 23:41:38 -0600

Respond to this message.

tdrake wrote:

> I have taught ART to K through 8th for 3 years now and feel very
> comfortable working with every level. However, I do find creating
> developmentally appropriate activites for 1st and 2nd graders to be the
> the most challenging. There understanding of a subject seems to
> outpace their hands on abilities. Does anyone else feel the same? Any
> suggestions on successful 1st and 2nd grade activities?
>
> Todd Drake
> New Garden Friends School
> Greensboro, NC
>
> Mailed from The Wire,
> A Community Web for the Piedmont Triad of North Carolina, USA
> Vist us today at http://www.wirecom.com

I have a couple lessons Todd which have worked well for me for first and
second grade.

#1--Read "the Snowy Day" by Ezra Jack Keats and talk about what the
students like to do when it snows. They draw with oil pastels on royal
blue paper everything but the white snow itself. The last ten minutes
of class, they paint in the snow with white tempera paint. These are
very showy.

#2 The Bandaid--You lead a discussion on the theme, "Once when I needed
a bandaid", then pass out a real bandaid to each student to add to their
drawing, interpreting the theme. You'll get some "gore", verbally, then
visually, but they really get into this one! It seemed to be very
theraputic to relive these incidents through art media for some
students.

#3 Fall or spring trees. First look at trees and discuss their parts,
trunk, roots, branches. Draw somewhere with brown or black crayon a
"winter" tree--no leaves. Then, depending on the season, draw other
details that develop that seasonal theme, i.e. what do you like best
about the spring or fall? The drawing is finished with sponge painted
foliage--warm colors for fall, lime green for spring. This, together
with the "Snowy Day" paintings, makes an interesting display for the
Spring Art Show. (Each lesson done with first, second or third grade.)

Enjoy--Marcia Scurfield, Derby, KS

Respond to this message.