re: John Biggers

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Becky Alexander (Bekalex)
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 17:42:08 -0800

Respond to this message.

From: "Nancy Walkup" <walkup>
To: artsednet
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 19:25:14 CST6CDT
Subject: John Biggers
Sender: owner-artsednet

Dear ArtsEdNet Folk:

John Biggers is an African-American artist who currently has a
retrospective at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. One of his
works, "The Upper Room," is in the Getty's MAPS series of
African-American art (http://www.artsednet.getty.edu).

Can anyone suggest other artists whose work would be meaningful
for comparison with that of Biggers?

Thanks so much,

Nancy

Nancy Walkup, Project Coordinator
PO Box 5098, University of North Texas
Denton, TX 76203
817/565-3986 FAX 817/565-4867
Walkup

Hi, Nancy,

I immediatly thought of John Millet's "The Gleaners" when I looked at "The
Upper Room" by Biggers.

After some thought Diego Rivera's Mother's Helper seemed an appropriate
comparison. Then I peeked in a book and discovered "Four Accomplishments
No. 1 by Okajuma Toyohiro.

All three works depict female figures at work in cultural tasks. Biggers'
does this in a very symbolic manner. The others not nearly as much
(although I don't know enough about Asian art to say).

Anyway, that was kind of fun. :) Hope this helps.

Becky Alexander
Porterville, Ca.

Respond to this message.