Re: Re: RESPONSE TO

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Teresa Tipton (ttipton.wa.us)
Sun, 23 Mar 1997 21:33:51 -0800 (PST)

Respond to this message.

As an artist-in-residence, what qualifies me as an artist to teach art is
that I practice what teachers theorize about. I enthuse the students with
the wonder of creating when they see works of art that I did because
artists become real people for them, not just video, movie, or magazine
people. I stimulate their imagination, give them art vocabulary,
illustrate processes, demonstrate techniques, present them with historical
derivations and evolutions of visual imagery, and talk with them about
what they've created before mounting and displaying it for others to
enjoy.

The old boundaries are shape-shifting and like the dinosaurs, let's stop
complaining about the disappearance of grass. Art is. It doesn't matter by
whom and with whom. Only the variations inbetween between quality and
bullshit.

Regards,
Teresa Tipton

On Sun, 23 Mar 1997 JThorn100 wrote:

> Astonishing. When I remembber my k-12 teachers they were not scientists, historians or mathematicians, they were educators who taught those subjects. What qualifies artists to teach art?

Respond to this message.

  • Reply: robert L. Snyder: "Teaching Art to the masses & ESL"