Re: What are you thoughts on copying?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Teresa Tipton (ttipton.wa.us)
Sun, 23 Mar 1997 20:45:45 -0800 (PST)

Respond to this message.

I think developmentally kids in middle to high school like copying
photographs from magazines because of their realism and their fascination
with representational art at this age. If I use photos, I cut have
students cut them in half and complete the missing part; or draw them
upside down ala Betty Edwards; or some other "technique" as one of many
types of drawing exercises, but not copying in an of themselves as an
exact representation, just to challenge them further.

Teresa Tipton

On Sun, 23 Mar 1997, Bunki Kramer wrote:

> Hi, everyone.......I've been on this listserv since mid. summer and I
> haven't heard anyone yet discuss the practice of copying in the classroom.
> Specifically, I'm talking about copying from magazines as a basis for
> learning how to draw and see as opposed to, say, still-life setups (which,
> BTW, my mid. school students hate unless it's something unusual like teddy
> bears, motors, etc). How do YOU feel about using a magazine picture as a
> source for drawing?
> Looking forward to your answers!

> Bunki Kramer
> Los Cerros Middle School