Re: What are you thoughts on copying?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kprs (kprs)
Sun, 23 Mar 1997 17:15:39 -0800

Respond to this message.

Bunki Kramer wrote:

> Hi, everyone.......I've been on this listserv since mid. summer and I
> haven't heard anyone yet discuss the practice of copying in the classroom.
> Specifically, I'm talking about copying from magazines as a basis for
> learning how to draw and see as opposed to, say, still-life setups (which,
> BTW, my mid. school students hate unless it's something unusual like teddy
> bears, motors, etc). How do YOU feel about using a magazine picture as a
> source for drawing?
> Looking forward to your answers!
>
> Cya...........
>
> Bunki Kramer
> Los Cerros Middle School
> Danville, California 94526
> bkramer.ca.us

Copying from photo’s teaches the student little about perspective.
However, there is surely a place in art for 2 and/or 3 dimensional
pieces of existing “art” as sources of inspiration, but when the goal
is to replicate these pieces, it is a purely technological
accomplishment that has little to do with art. It is understood that
there are skills to be gained from copying, but one must weigh that
against potential damage to the creative processes.

If you can stand the smell, have them draw their shoes . . . then if
their drawing “stinks” they have truely created a work of art!

KPRS

Respond to this message.