re: arts (was Re: Teachers role)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Becky Alexander (Bekalex)
Sat, 22 Mar 1997 12:11:04 -0800

Respond to this message.

Whether a speech pattern is a language or not is really, in my opinion, a
moot point. Throughout the world the language of economics is English.
Unless we actively want these children to be on the bottom of the economic
ladder I suggest they learn to speak, read and write standard English. This
is true for the entire world, not because it's right or wrong, but because
it is.

Bilingual education holds as one of it's tenets that solid primary language
skills result in more effective second language acquisition. The
maintenence of the primary language is not (nor should it be) a goal of the
public school system.

I can support bilingual education in order to teach English more
effectively. But when the primary language learning interferes with the
English learning a priority has to be made.

I do not see that choice being made except in policy papers. The choice is
made in the classroom, by the parents, and by the students themselves.
(Usually in favor of English.) :)

Let's save the kids and make sure that they speak, read and write English
at a level sufficient to get them a meaningful education and job in their
own country.

Becky Alexander
Porterville, Ca.

>Ebonics which traces the derivation of black speech patterns as an
>understandable syntax from West African languages, is actually very
>similar to the speech pattern of Icelandic people. As a form of study, a
>language system, and scholarly subject, Ebonics recognizes that literacy
>in second language culture must come from understanding the literate
>mechancics of one's first language. As all of written history has
>as its antecedent, thousands of years of oral culture to support it, to
>erase and denigrate Ebonics as garbage is failing to recognize the
>importance of cultural heritage as it pertains not just to black culture
>but to all people. We are all multicultural. But education, textbooks,
>some teachers, and our own historical interpretations have deliberately
>deleted non-Caucasian influences and contributions, necessitating this
>effort to affirm and recognize all the ways in which people of color have
>been deleted, denigrated, and destroyed by people of non-color. That is
>neither garbage, mindless, or unintelligent. For interesting reading on
>this subject, I recommend "Black Athena" for the "afroasiatic" roots of
>classical civilization which were deliberately deleted from textbooks in
>the 1800's.
>
>You go on to use other denigrating terms in your post- words that
>by their nature are accusatory and attack positions that don't agree with
>yours. Instead, I find your post to support the need for multicultural
>communication, connection, and content even more fully. That you don't
>seem to understand the context of multicultural study beyond
>"intimidation", points to the need to explore your position more fully.
>For that I can recommend the excellent video, THE COLOR OF FEAR.
>
>Regards,
>Teresa Tipton
>

> On Sat, 22 Mar 1997
>croush wrote:
>
>> I think it is most fitting for educators to use their brains
>> and not just go along with some of the mindless political
>> correctness designed to intimidate and reprogram our basic
>> intelligence... Are we now suppose to whole-
>> heartedly endorse garbage like Ebonics in the name of
>> M.C.? Many of the arts are already steeped in cultures that
>> are non-U.S.A.
>> It is time for intelligent people to assert themselves
>> and try to stop some of this mindless p.c. intimidation. THe
>> people that accuse and attack others are usually more close-
>> minded than those they are attacking.
>>
>> Respectfully,
>>
>> Clark Roush, Ph.D.
>> croush

We are all teachers...teach only love. :)

Respond to this message.