Re: recommended readings/postmodernism

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
AliBlaBla
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 20:24:00 -0500 (EST)

Respond to this message.

HTaylor wrote about postmodenism/etc:

>As I drove Jason (my DAUGHTER) to school. I asked her
>about the words you list and got a typical teenage "Huh? As-if.." stare.
>When I got into the concepts underlying the words it became clear we were
>into familiar, if not assumed and therefore boring, territory.

This is so true! I suspect that the kids know intuitively what these things
mean...it is the climate of the society they are immersed in...and it is
transparent, familiar.

>So, what are your criteria here for a "good studies"? Mine are admittedly
>odd and counter-academic. I actually like anecdotal stuff as well as work
>where uncertainty prevails. Postmodern, from my point of view.

I agree about the anecdotal stuff/uncertainty being valuable. Our
experiences are more valuable than what any pomo scholar may say. However by
seeking "good studies" about adolescents understanding of postmodernism, I
want to back up my research, actions and lessons about technology with...I
don't know...semi-hard evidence of some kind. An educated guess? Deep
speculation? Guided conjecture?

Alison King

Respond to this message.