Re: recommended readings/postmodernism

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Diane C. Gregory, Ph.D. (dg09)
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 14:25:05 -0600

Respond to this message.

Dear Henry:

Boy it has been a long time since I have read a post from you. Many of my
friends that are also using the internet have remarked quite frequently
lately, that we have missed your remarkable, sensitive and clear comments
on the listservs. Good to see you back.

Now, I have some questions for you. It sounds like you may be able to
demystify for me and others the meanings of several words that were used in
Alison King's post.

Would it be too great an imposition for you to give us a clear, objective
and non-jargon definition of each of the following words? I have been
grappling with how to explain these terms to my undergraduate students and
therefore I realize I must not have a clear handle on them or I would be
able to do so. I would appreciate your common sense way of explaining
things. I believe many people on both of these lists would profit from
such a definition. If this is too great an imposition, I understand.
Please forgive.

Anyway, could you define each of the following words as it relates to art
and art education:

postmodernism
deconstructionism
constructionism
reconstructionism
pluralism
value pluralism

A definition which talks about the differences between these isms would
also be helpful. Forgive me if this sounds like I am coming from a
formalist perspective, but I have heard these words used frequently.
Perhaps I am surrounded by post-formalists or by people who like all of us
are trying to make sense of all of this.

In any case, any help you could offer to decipher this language would be
appreciated.

Cheers and many thanks,

Diane

Diane C. Gregory, Ph.D.