Musee de Beaux Arts

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Scurfield (scurfield)
Sun, 16 Mar 1997 01:06:41 -0600

Respond to this message.

Stenger - Judith DiSalvo wrote:

> Dear John
> Try a glass of prune juice.
> Judy

I was following with great amusement the latest statements about the
what-is-of-value? on this listserve, but Judy, your comment about the
prune juice made me laugh out loud!

My son is struggling through AP Senior English and often asks for input
from the family about writing assignments. He recently had to decipher
a poem by W.H. Auden, "Musee de Beaux Arts", which refers to Brueghel's
"The Fall of Icarus". We found another reference (unstated) in
Rembrandt's etching,"The Good Samaritan" where in the foreground a dog
is relieving himself while in the middle ground the Biblical story
unfolds. The basic gist of the poem is that the sacred and the profound
are happening all around us, all the time, and all mixed up! And my
belief about this talk group is that we have differing opinions about
what is sacred and what is profane and that is absolutely OK!--as so
many of you have much more elequently stated.

As for me, I find this group to be very stimulating and humbling at the
same time. We deal with a lot as art teachers and sometimes we don't
always get the support we need and deserve. I am currently working in
the ivory tower, but have spent some quality time in the trenches, too.
I enjoy working with the college students, but sometimes miss the love
and pure appreciation of elementary children. Art to them is magic--a
valid expression of their souls--but the school administrations
(certainly not all, but far too many) consider elementary art to be a
"frill" and the first thing to go when the budget gets cut. It is the
big disappointment of my adult life. How can we make the rest of the
world understand? We can't stop fighting the fight, but sometimes it
makes me weary or sad.

Going for a glass of prune juice--or should that be Geritol?--Marcia
Scurfield, Derby, KS

Respond to this message.

  • Reply: Numo Jaeger and Michael Miller: "Re: Musee de Beaux Arts"