Re: the sun and the sky

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Teresa Tipton (ttipton.wa.us)
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 23:00:40 -0800 (PST)

Respond to this message.

I ask people to draw light - not the sun itself - showing how the sun
illuminates the sky with color. I show pictures of sky in slides at
different times of day so we can see all the color changes, angles,
shapes with clouds blocking the shape of the sun etc. to reinforce the "no
suns with sunglasses and happy faces in the corners of our works of
art..."

When I show works of art, I ask if they see a sun in the corner with
rays coming out anywhere in a landscape and reinforce the "no" by showing
how the artist has shown how the light reflects of the surfaces with
color. In some cases where the student persists drawing happy face suns, I
point out that this "motif" was learned from coloring books and is a
"cliche." I then ask them to be original and to not draw corner suns
but to represent the sun with color. For strips of sky, I ask what is
happening? What is underneath? Look outside the window at all the shades
of blue in the sky...can they add different tints and shades of blue
and expand their strip? where does the sky end? what is in front of
it? what is behind? etc. This seems to help.

Regards,
Teresa Tipton

On Tue, 11 Mar 1997, Heidi McElroy wrote:

> Greetings, I have been reading with interest the issue of strips of sky.
> My high school students draw everyday. I notice that when some of them
> draw a landscape, they still put that primary sun in the corner with little
> rays of sunshine represented by lines. They have not had art in the
> elementary...so they are developmentally behind. What do you suggest I
> tell them? I usually ask why they do that and they have no good reasons.
> I suggest that they notice that paintings by noted artists do not depict
> the sun like that. I don't want to hurt feelings. Send help please. I
> also have a student who does the strip sky. Do you think everyone outgrows
> that ...or are there just people who see differently from the rest of the
> us? Looking forward to your help. Thanks. Heidi McElroy

Respond to this message.