Re: the sun and the sky

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Rita Glass (rglass.ne.us)
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 07:17:57 -0600 (CST)

Respond to this message.

I teach at the 7/8grade level ....even once in a while my HONORS students
sneak in the rayed sun......we talk of elementary images of a sun and how
suns are not painted this way in paintings ...one day a student
said....some cartoon artists do the sun that way...reply...but honey..we
are not studying cartooning ttoday....just natural landscapes...I then
got out some Impressionistic and realistic prints and we looked at style

On Tue, 11 Mar 1997, Heidi McElroy wrote:

> Greetings, I have been reading with interest the issue of strips of sky.
> My high school students draw everyday. I notice that when some of them
> draw a landscape, they still put that primary sun in the corner with little
> rays of sunshine represented by lines. They have not had art in the
> elementary...so they are developmentally behind. What do you suggest I
> tell them? I usually ask why they do that and they have no good reasons.
> I suggest that they notice that paintings by noted artists do not depict
> the sun like that. I don't want to hurt feelings. Send help please. I
> also have a student who does the strip sky. Do you think everyone outgrows
> that ...or are there just people who see differently from the rest of the
> us? Looking forward to your help. Thanks. Heidi McElroy

Respond to this message.