Re: art ed funding/content

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Clair/Lily Kerns (CWKerns)
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 14:30:13 -0600

Respond to this message.

Friends, the following note is part of an ongoing discussion on the
QuiltArt mailing list and I am posting it here with the author's
permission. The discussion started with questions about "what is art", has
moved to the necessity of an art education to make "art quilts", and into a
discussion of the need for art in schools and on into a discussion of how
art should be taught.

When this post was received, I thought perhaps some of you would like to
provide answers. It isn't every day we get offered additional
funding--even just to speculate about! I told the author you were a
creative, thoughtful group. You may reply directly to her or to the list
and I will send her a summary of your responses. I might add, that if you
need enthusiastic support for your art program, there are some quilters out
there who are whole-heartedly behind our efforts!

Lily

> ------------------------------
>
> From: Julia F N Altshuler <d000634c>
> Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 22:15:02 -0500 (EST)
> Subject: art ed-specifics
>
> The subject of giving art education to elementary age children has gone

> off into the interesting direction of funding for art ed art
> interdisciplanary importance of art ed, but now I want some help with the

> specifics. How exactly do we teach art basics to children other than
> exposing them to artwork and encouraging creativity in general?
>
> Imagine this: Someone you know in your community has won the lottery
> and has decided to spend the money funding art ed in the schools. This
> includes public, private, religious and home schools. This person has
> asked you to serve as consultant and make basic recommendations as far
as:

> What fabrics, paints, canvasses, crayons, pencils, materials, supplies
> would you buy?
>
> On what criteria would you hire the teachers? What education, screening,

> experience would you expect the art ed teachers to have?
>
> What would the curriculum look like for the early grades? The middle
> grades? The older kids?
>
> How would the children be separated by grade level, ability level,
> creativity?
>
> Would there be tests, and if so, what would they look like?
>
> Imagine that the money is abundant but not unlimited. In other words,
> every dollar should still count.
>
> I keep coming back to this because, while my own art ed wasn't terrible,
> I still never learned to draw realistically, and I would have liked to.
> I'm not even certain that that was a possibility.
>
> - --Lia, merrily learning to machine quilt better in snowy, slushy
> Massachusetts
>
> d000634c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Lily Kerns CWKerns
http://rampages.onramp.net/~dkerns/lily/

Respond to this message.