Re: strips of sky

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Brian Ronald Vance (brvance)
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 11:37:48 -0500 (EST)

Respond to this message.

The blue strip sky is indicative of Lowenfeld's stage where children
create personal symbols for objects. All children go through this stage
and will develop past this stage through careful guidance and
instruction. Looking and talking about the sky is an excellent way of
accomplishing this. I saw a Getty center video about a teacher in
California who had a lesson on looking at the sky ---the actual sky and
paintings like Van Gogh's "Starry Night". Then the students did a
production activity of making "sky paintings".

On Sun, 9 Mar 1997 PurpleArt wrote:

> Just curious -- what do most art educators do regarding young students who
> paint or color the famous blue strip of sky across the top of their paper? Do
> you smile and say "How beautiful!" or do you attempt to "teach" them that the
> sky actually appears to go all the way down and touch the ground?! At what
> age do students discover this for themselves? Most of my fifth graders tend
> to do the strip sky thing...

Respond to this message.