Re: Ukranian eggs

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sidnie Miller (sidmill.edu)
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 19:54:44 -0800 (PST)

Respond to this message.

Ukranian eggs dealt with spring and rebirth and all that but there was
a belief that there was a terrible monster in chains and the more eggs
that were produced, the stronger his chains, but should young girls
stop producing eggs, he would be freed to ravage the earth. Every year
the monsters servants circle the globe keeping records of the number
of pysanki made. When there are few, his chains loosen and evil
flows through the world. When there are many eggs the chains are
held taut and love can conquer evil.
There is a company called Surma, 11 East 7th St, New York, NY 10003
which sells a great kit for pysanki including dyes, wax, a candle,
postcards of eggs, a wax tool and a super little book with all the
history and mythology of the egg decorating. It also goes into
lots of detail about the meaning of the various symbols used. I
can't remember how much it cost--$15 -20 I think. There is a certain
amount of luck involved here, and the tradition is that you just
leave the eggs alone. You can turn them, but leave the yoke etc.
inside and it should dry out over time (years). If your eggs break
it's bad luck for you, sort of like a broken mirror. I guess that
means you shouldn't be tampering with your luck by trying to blow
the egg or bake it etc. I did these with my sunday school class and
they loved the stories that I read out of the little book. After
class I dropped the box that held my sample eggs, so if any of you
were wondering about all the evil in the world, I guess I'd have to
take some responsibility!!Sid
###########################
# Sidnie Miller #
# Elko Junior High School #
# 777 Country Club Drive #
# Elko, NV 89801 #
# 702-738-7236 #
###########################

On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, Donna Emsel Schill wrote:

> Sir Bear
> Classic Ukranian eggs don't need any intervention to preserve them. Be
> sure to use FRESH (not hard boiled) eggs that dont have any extra
> chemicals on the shell.(You can tell by licking the shell - reject any
> that have a 'chemical' taste). Do your wax/stencil/dye technique and then
> let Mother Nature slowly solidify the insides until you have a nice
> Ukranian 'rattle'. I have classic Ukranian eggs ranging in age from last
> year to over 30 years old that still look magical.
> Does anyone know the
> Ukranian tale of the magic associated with the eggs? I think it is the
> same phenomena as "dream-catchers", we may make the artistic object but we
> don't have all the magic to be complete.
> Dr. Donna Emsel Schill
> 14101 121st Avenue N.E.
> Kirkland, WA 98034
> (206) 821-5596