Re: Art Lessons Using Poetry?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Teresa Tipton (ttipton.wa.us)
Sat, 8 Mar 1997 10:58:56 -0800 (PST)

Respond to this message.

I start with brainstorming a list of words and putting them together in a
haiku as a way to get started; we do a group poem together to illustrate
the process and then they divide a paper into three columns, brainstorming
words across each column. They combine four lines of three words together
for their haiku.

Also fun to do is making art out of words, so that the images are the
words themselves. They love it and it's really interesting to see what
they create.

Another approach is to present them with a work of art and have them
brainstorm words from the art and combine the words into a poem.

Regards,
Teresa Tipton

On Fri, 7 Mar 1997, David Zimmerman wrote:

> Well, T.G.I.F. to all you fellow art teachers! I need some help with
> lesson plan ideas for an art unit on poetry. I have to present 4, hour and
> a half classes to third and fourth graders next month. The classroom
> teachers will do some writing with their students this month and I am
> expected to design some art projects using their writing to further enrich
> the use of opposites and descriptive words. I would like do do more than
> the predictable "illustrate your poem" thing. One idea I have is to use
> the Chinese Yin/Yang sign which is so popular with kids. I thought I might
> do it in clay with imagery from the poem on either side of the sign. Also
> thinking of a handmade book with the theme of dreams, wishes and promises.
> Any thoughts or ideas along these lines would be appreciated (as well as
> any other unique ideas using poetry).
>
> I'm new to this list and am really enjoying it--especially the pencil
> sharpener discussion!
> Deb Rosenbaum <fastedy>
>

> A pat on the back is only a few centimeters from a kick in the butt.

Respond to this message.