Re: Art Lessons Using Poetry?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Christine Beth Johnson (chrbjohn)
Sat, 8 Mar 1997 07:14:10 -0500 (EST)

Respond to this message.

The clay idea sounds good. Anything that can go to another form of
expression of the idea of they used word to express. Maybe they could
exchange and do an imagery representation of someone's poem other than
their own. This would help then express what the poem means to them and
devlop an intrepetive skill that the writing teacher should also enjoy.
This would allow an interesting juxtoposition in a book and maybe further
help them get beyond illustration and into another expression of the same
idea.
for what it is worth....
Christy Johnson

On Fri, 7 Mar 1997, David Zimmerman wrote:

> Well, T.G.I.F. to all you fellow art teachers! I need some help with
> lesson plan ideas for an art unit on poetry. I have to present 4, hour and
> a half classes to third and fourth graders next month. The classroom
> teachers will do some writing with their students this month and I am
> expected to design some art projects using their writing to further enrich
> the use of opposites and descriptive words. I would like do do more than
> the predictable "illustrate your poem" thing. One idea I have is to use
> the Chinese Yin/Yang sign which is so popular with kids. I thought I might
> do it in clay with imagery from the poem on either side of the sign. Also
> thinking of a handmade book with the theme of dreams, wishes and promises.
> Any thoughts or ideas along these lines would be appreciated (as well as
> any other unique ideas using poetry).
>
> I'm new to this list and am really enjoying it--especially the pencil
> sharpener discussion!
> Deb Rosenbaum <fastedy>
>

> A pat on the back is only a few centimeters from a kick in the butt.

Respond to this message.