Re: museum activites

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Christine Beth Johnson (chrbjohn)
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 07:22:27 -0500 (EST)

Respond to this message.

I saw an excellent example developed by Chuck Burnette for the
Philadelphia Art museum for an exhibit on the principles of design for a
Japanese exhibit. It consisted of a set of cards that exhibit goers used
for an explain of the principals. The exhibit pieces then included
descriptions that referred to these attributes.
So much debends on the museums

On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Scurfield wrote:

> Megan E. Brown wrote:
> >
> > We covered a brief unit on museum activities recently. One of the activities
> > was for the instructor to pass out words (they can be feelings, principles of
> > design, formal elements, adjectives, media, etc) and then have the students (or
> > families) find art pieces to match the word. Then as a group we went around to
> > see people's matches. You had to explain why you thought you had a match. It
> > also opened up discussion about the art work, and as we were searching, forced
> > us to read the info on the art work, or atleast look more closely at the
> > pieces. You can also do this activity with two words to match which makes it
> > more challenging.
> > Somesort of scavenger hunt for say formal elements, or style of art, or what
> > ever could be fun too.
> > Hope that is what you were looking for.
> > Megan Brown
>
> Thanks Megan!
> I was in a workshop at Wichita State University led by Marilyn
> Stewart several summers ago and we did a similar activity to the one you
> mentioned--an excellent way to get people to look closely and think
> about what they see. We had a bunch of little "descriptive word" cards
> --"whimsical, aggressive, joyous, heroic, shocking", etc.--which we
> connected with artworks. We used poster-sized reproductions in the
> workshop, but real artworks in the museum would be even better, or
> postcards would work also.
>
> Thanks for your input. Actually my question was regarding hands-on
> activities to complement art exhibitions--make-and-take activities. As
> the people who attend these events wander in and out from one activity
> to another, there isn't much opportunity to give an in-depth
> explanation. Therefore, how do you maximize the learning in this
> situation so that patrons get the most from it?

Respond to this message.

  • Reply: carla harwitt: "Re: Got a kid friendly URL?"