Re: museum activites

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Scurfield (scurfield)
Tue, 04 Mar 1997 22:54:37 -0600

Respond to this message.

Megan E. Brown wrote:

> We covered a brief unit on museum activities recently. One of the activities
> was for the instructor to pass out words (they can be feelings, principles of
> design, formal elements, adjectives, media, etc) and then have the students (or
> families) find art pieces to match the word. Then as a group we went around to
> see people's matches. You had to explain why you thought you had a match. It
> also opened up discussion about the art work, and as we were searching, forced
> us to read the info on the art work, or atleast look more closely at the
> pieces. You can also do this activity with two words to match which makes it
> more challenging.
> Somesort of scavenger hunt for say formal elements, or style of art, or what
> ever could be fun too.
> Hope that is what you were looking for.
> Megan Brown

Thanks Megan!
I was in a workshop at Wichita State University led by Marilyn
Stewart several summers ago and we did a similar activity to the one you
mentioned--an excellent way to get people to look closely and think
about what they see. We had a bunch of little "descriptive word" cards
--"whimsical, aggressive, joyous, heroic, shocking", etc.--which we
connected with artworks. We used poster-sized reproductions in the
workshop, but real artworks in the museum would be even better, or
postcards would work also.

Thanks for your input. Actually my question was regarding hands-on
activities to complement art exhibitions--make-and-take activities. As
the people who attend these events wander in and out from one activity
to another, there isn't much opportunity to give an in-depth
explanation. Therefore, how do you maximize the learning in this
situation so that patrons get the most from it?

Respond to this message.