curriculum and technology

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Dave Beaman (beam121)
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 12:35:35 +0000

Respond to this message.

On Sunday, Leslie Boston wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Does anyone out there work with computers in the artroom? If so what
>kind of curriculum have you developed for the class? I'm primarily
>thinking in terms of jr. and sr. high school.
>
>Thanks

My Response:

I am a high school art teacher using computers and other forms of
technology in my classroom- primarily with 9th grade students and inquiry.
After 9-12 weeks of teaching DBAE in the "traditional" mode, I train all
100+ students in internet, CDRom, CDInteractive and Laserdisc. Students
then team up with one other student and research works of art using at
least 3 forms of technology. They then present their findings through
either written, oral, computer authoring software (Powerpoint, Hyperstudio,
Hypercard, Adobe Illustrator) or creating a collage explaining their
findings. I find that most if not all my students are eager and embrace the
use of technology in their work. I did have a student that dropped my
class because her parents felt that technology was "evil." By taking my
class, my students are granted an "internet license" that allows them to
utilize school technology at various sites in our school. Students and
their parents must sign an acceptable use policy, agreeing to not use the
technology in an inappropriate manner. If they do, they lose access for the
remainder of their time in our school (permanently). I find that most of
my students have a computer at home and access to the internet- even though
we live in a rather economically challenged area. The work my students do
is exceptional- much more than what we were able to do with books alone.
Students involved in inquiry are much more likely to "dig" when they direct
the "digging." I have a few students in my commercial art classes that
embrace technology- even going so far as to create packaging and
advertisements on the computer. We talk, philosophically, about whether or
not art created with a computer is "truly art." Most believe it is much
like photography- it's art if you make decisions about what will be in the
picture.

Dave Beaman
Staples/Motley High School

Respond to this message.