Tartan Design

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
JudaOrlandi, Marilyn (Marilyn.JudaOrlandi)
Mon, 03 Mar 1997 08:56:00 +0000 (GMT)

Respond to this message.

Ellen,

I too would be interested in your sister-in-law's design.

Some time ago, I cut an article out of a travel magazine about the design of
Scottish Tartan plaids, which included color illustrations of the different
plaids for each family clan. It explained how the colors used were
significant and how each family clan had a dress tartan and a hunting
tartan. I was planning to use this as a lesson plan by having students
design their own family tartan using colors which would be significant in
some way to them. It would be fun to include the birthday stripes as well.
Looking forward to hearing how it is done. (Plaids are a good lesson in
symmetry....actually its double symmetry..top and bottom, left and
right...is there a word for double symmetry?)

Ciao,
Marilyn Juda-Orlandi

>From: "Sears, Ellen" <ESears.ky.us>
>Date: Fri, 28 Feb 97 10:34:00 PST
>Subject: Ireland/Germany - Tartan Plaid>>>

>My sister-in-law did some needlework where she developed a plaid by using a

>person's birthday. It could be done on graph paper with 3 colors (D/M/Y)
>if you didn't have the time to make a small weaving.
>A pattern was created with stripes for the date (thickness depended on the
>numeral) , then the paper was rotated 90? and the pattern was repeated
again.
>That became that person's plaid...
>I can get the specifics to you if you are interested.
>Just a thought.
>I would also check the back issues of Pieceworks magazine - it is a
wonderful
>resource for craft and history (and a simple project is usually included.)

>Beautiful magazine...
>Ellen

Respond to this message.

  • Reply: NTIEVA Student Assistant 3: "Re: Tartan Design"