Re: designing a new art room

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mark Alexander (Alexander)mamjam)
Sat, 1 Mar 1997 12:00:50 -0500

Respond to this message.

As always, thanks for the input, SanD!

Many of your tactics remind me of a book I used when I opened a new
business in the 70's. It was called 'Gurilla Marketing,' and it had a
common flavor with many of your ideas. Makes good sense!

I just got the NAEA publication on standards for art facilities and it is
very well thought out with many nice ideas. However, I think they might be
more accurate to call it 'Standards for IDEAL Art Facilities.'

Falls Village voters, especially a few very vocal people organized as the
'Taxpayer's Association,' try to dodge the responsibility of spending money
to meet MINIMUM standards, even in technology! Imagine the town meeting
discussion about paying for a 'state of the art' art room!

I have been collecting many ideas and plans, including the published NAEA
plans. My principal and staff will support me as long as I try hard not to
appear too extravagent. I'll be better prepared to present a reasonable
plan for an affordable yet quality facility, thanks to you.

I realize I may only get part of my request, but it wouldn't take much to
improve on the art cart I push now! It also wouldn't be hard to document
this to the town meeting. I feel optomistic yet I need to remain pragmatic.
Fortunately, dreams are free!

Thanks,

Mark

At 7:35 AM 2/9/97, kprs wrote:
>Mark Alexander wrote:
>>
>> Hello ArtsEdNet,
>>
>> My school's building committee is developing a plan for renovations which
>> we hope will include a new art room. This is my first year pushing the cart
>> here, so imagine my pleasure at being asked what I thought a good art room
>> needed! Wow!
>>
>> This is the school's 4th attempt at passing a renovation plan. We need a
>> new science lab, a music room, and an art room, as well as renovations to
>> meet some fire codes. The community referendums have not passed the
>> previous 3 plans, one failed by only one vote! To pass the town meeting
>> vote or referendum vote, the design be modest without frills. I have lots
>> of ideas, but thought I might ask for suggestions. If you were given the
>> task of designing an art room in a shoe string budget, what would you think
>> were the most important features?
>>
>> Also, I've heard about a publication which lists standards (national?) for
>> designing art classrooms. Anyone know who publishes it and where I could
>> find it?
>>
>> Any information and suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you all!
>>
>> Mark Alexander
>> 1-8 art on the cart
>> Lee H. Kellogg School
>> Falls Village, CT 06031
>
>Call your state and see if their administrative code has any size
>regulations for art rooms. Do not let them give you standards for a
>regular classroom, as what we do is a different "traffic" pattern than
>just students in rows.
>
>I would take phots of your present situation and make a presentation
>board at the meeting. Enlarge the photos. I would also suggest that
>you "manipulate" the situation so that you are at your "cramped", if you
>know what I mean.
>
>I would invite Board members, PTA members, parents of your students to a
>"art day" where they joined the kids in the classroom in an art
>activity, and they FELT and SAW how badly you needed the space. ( I once
>had a local well known "decoy carver" come to the room and he was well
>received by both kids, parents, and the public) Night classes are held
>in my room, and one parent complained that there was no
>airconditioning...and voila, donated airconditioners to the space)
>
>Before you do the "begging for space" thing, you have to do the
>"taxpayer schmoozing" thing. Once they have a "concrete" idea how their
>kids are affected you will have a better shot at getting a bigger and
>better space. If for some reason they think that this space is for you,
>your ego, your comfort (well....you know the rest).
>
>And lastly, co-op their opinions too. While our opinions will help you
>in the designing, ask them either via PTA meeting or survey if they
>would be able to suggest space allotments, etc.
>
>San D

)))))))))} {{{
Mark Alexander ))){{{{{{{{)){{{{{}{{{

1-8 Art on the Cart ))})}} } {{}}} {({{{
Lee H. Kellogg School )))}}} }(({{
Falls Village, CT 06031 }} ! (({{
))}} ~````~ ^^~~~~' ((({
))}} `` `'\ / ''''' ((
)) }}{q O || O p((
) }}}{ q / || '' p {(
}} }{ [()] {((

{{{ {{{

Respond to this message.

  • Reply: schultz: "Re: Re: designing a new art room"